Trump loses bid to add fourth U.S. campaign debate with Biden in early September

Related

By John Whitesides

WASHINGTON – President Donald Trump’s re-election campaign on Thursday lost its bid for a fourth debate with Democratic candidate Joe Biden in early September.

In rejecting the request, the Commission on Presidential Debates said it remains committed to the current schedule of three 90-minute debates beginning in late September.

It said it would only add a fourth debate or move an existing debate to earlier in the month if both sides in the campaign for the Nov. 3 vote agreed to it.

Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani asked for either a fourth debate in the first week of September or for the first debate to be moved up from Sept. 29 because voters in some states would be able to cast votes before then.

Trump, a Republican, is trailing Biden in most national opinion polls.

The battleground state of North Carolina is scheduled to begin sending out mail-in ballots to registered voters who requested them on Sept. 4, with several other states to follow in September. A massive surge in mail-in voting is expected because of fears of coronavirus at public polling places.

Voters will have a choice to watch a debate before casting their ballots, the commission said, adding voters “are under no compulsion to return their ballots before the debates.”

The Biden campaign said it was pleased Trump had accepted the commission invitation to debate.

“As we have said for months, the commission will determine the dates and times of the debates, and Joe Biden will be there,” Biden campaign spokesman TJ Ducklo said.

The commission has organized three debates and one vice presidential debate during each presidential campaign since 2000. The presidential debates are set for Sept. 29 in Ohio, Oct. 15 in Florida and Oct. 22 in Tennessee.

(Reporting by John Whitesides; Editing by Howard Goller)

- Advertisement -
SourceReuters

Add your comment(s)

 

Latest

U.S. Justice Department indicts six with conspiracy to pay bribes to Amazon employees

WASHINGTON - The U.S. Justice Department said on Friday six people have been indicted by a grand jury in Washington state with conspiring to...

Biden says Ginsburg’s replacement should be chosen by election victor

NEW CASTLE, Del. - Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden said on Friday that "there is no doubt" that the next U.S. Supreme Court justice...

Trump’s list of potential RBG successors

WASHINGTON - The death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Friday will enable U.S. President Donald Trump to nominate a third jurist to the...

How Trump could replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Supreme Court, even before election

Although the Nov. 3 presidential election is fast approaching, the death of U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg leaves a vacancy that Republican...

Two killed, 14 injured in shooting in Rochester, New York

Two people were killed and 14 others wounded in a shooting in Rochester, New York, police said on Saturday. The shooting appeared to start at...

Trending