Clinton says she hopes Harris gets ‘less sexist’ treatment on U.S. campaign trail

Related

By Jan Wolfe

WASHINGTON – Hillary Clinton on Thursday said she hopes Senator Kamala Harris, the Democratic Party’s vice presidential nominee, and women running for political office in the future will receive “less sexist” media coverage than she did in 2016.

“I still hope, especially with Kamala on the ticket, that the coverage of women running for president or vice president will be less sexist, less sensationalist and less trivializing,” Clinton, a former U.S. secretary of state, said during an online forum hosted by news organization The 19th.

Clinton, a Democrat, lost in the electoral college to U.S. President Donald Trump in 2016 despite receiving more votes than him nationwide.

Clinton said she had talked with Harris and Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee who this week named Harris as his running mate, about their campaign.

“They are inheriting a mess of historic proportions,” Clinton said, adding that she did not think the coronavirus pandemic would be over by January when Biden and Harris would take office if they defeat Trump and Vice President Michael Pence.

“I think Joe and Kamala together will be absolutely ready for lots of long, long days and very short nights working to get as much done as quickly as possible,” Clinton said.

Clinton added that she expected Trump to cast doubt on the result of the election if he loses.

“I have every reason to believe Trump is not going to go quietly into the night if he loses,” Clinton said.

Clinton sidestepped a question from a reporter about whether she would serve in a Biden administration if he defeats Trump.

“If you are asked to serve you should certainly consider that but let’s not go there until we actually win,” Clinton said.

(Reporting by Jan Wolfe; Editing by Scott Malone and Cynthia Osterman)

- Advertisement -
SourceReuters

Add your comment(s)

 

Latest

‘It worked’: Pandemic-inspired outdoor dining to become permanent in NY

By Barbara Goldberg NEW YORK - New York is committed to making outdoor dining a permanent option for the thousands of restaurants that have embraced...

Some 3,500 U.S. companies sue over Trump Chinese tariffs

By David Shepardson WASHINGTON - About 3,500 U.S. companies, including Tesla Inc <TSLA.O>, Ford Motor Co <F.N>, Target Corp <TGT.N>, Walgreen Co <WBA.O> and Home...

Economic uncertainty ahead of U.S. election partially fueled by virus and joblessness

By Ann Saphir With COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. topping 200,000 this week following a rise in new daily cases last week for the first...

Trump pledges to make Juneteenth federal holiday

By Steve Holland and Lisa Lambert ATLANTA - President Donald Trump made a series of promises at a campaign event in Atlanta on Friday in...

Space bubbles are a real thing and they are easing New York restaurant troubles

By Aleksandra Michalska NEW YORK - Space bubbles are frothing up business at a New York bistro, offering fresh air in safe capsules on sidewalks...

Trending